Friday, June 25, 2010

Are you happy to be back?

Swahili Word of the Week: Nitarudi- I have returned

Weather: Glorious, light breeze, sunshine, low humidity and a cool 28 C. Perfect Beach weather, definitely where I am headed this weekend.

Special Shout Out: Oh so many this week…
Ellen- you are a legend in packing, how I couldn’t have done without you.
Dad- Flying up to SF meant so much and who would have thought we would get our mountain of a to do list done and still get to Swans!
Heather- Thanks for flying all the way from NY to see me, loved our Epic Trip and yes there will always be the Tiburon
Kate- Hostess with the mostest
Nons and Si- Awesome dinner party
Mum-Love the London Time, Oliver!, camera and the skirt!
Chloe- my birthday card from you is officially the best I have ever gotten, thanks for the laughs
And everyone else was amazing too, thanks for making home such a great place to come home too.



Are you happy to be back?

I have to say it was with some trepidation that I returned back to SF to finalize the move to Dar. Moving out of Hoffman seemed like cutting the last tie and I was worried upon return, that I would realize I had made a decision that was not right for me. Although it was great to see everyone and everything, the trip home confirmed that at least for the next year, the decision to stay here is a good one.

I was able to visit both my old hospital floors in SF, and although I miss bedside nursing tremendously and miss my patient interactions, I came to realize that it will always be there. I have a chance to affect change on a large scale here in Tanzania and I am going to remain focused and motivated on that thought.

Making it back to SF, SB and London was such a treat. If you ever need an ego boost moving out of the country is a good way to get one. I got a lot of ‘is it good to be back?’, ‘are you having culture shock?’ etc. And yes it was good to be back and no I didn’t really have culture shock. I have had it before; going into Whole Foods on the first day I got back probably wasn’t the wisest choice but it wasn’t as bad as I have had it in the past. Maybe because I am getting used to the to and fro or maybe I have become jaded (hopefully not). Similarly, when I got back to Dar I was greeted with a Hero’s welcome. Not just because I was bearing gifts, but a true welcome ‘home’.

Many of the nurses were happy to have me back and gave me a little pump up for the slog ahead. I wanted to share the following email, not because he sings my praises, but because I really believe people here are doing such great work with limited resources. We need to remember that sometimes recognition can be reward enough.



Hi Alice!

I am very happy that you are now back to Tanzania.
I thank God that your trip was wonderfully and you traveled all the
way safely.
Thank you very much for appreciating what we are doing here at Kiomboi,
you have impressed my heart,for me is enough just knowing that there is somebody somewhere
who real recognize our work.For sure i tell you Alice,we do a lot of important things
here but few people do recognize.
I have got an information also that you have brought some books,thank you so much.
This library is real helping us and our students too, although Hospital staff members are not
yet motivated to use our library but I believe one day it will be of great important to them too.
Thanks also for the fund and every thing.
Your welcome once again here at Kiomboi and see the progress.

With Humbleness


I am not normally a promotor, but I discovered a great organization for those that want to support African and Global Nurses http://www.grettafoundation.org/

Asante Sana

No comments:

Post a Comment